Jon learnt the trade in property law as a conveyancer, starting with residential property sales and working through to large scale commercial developments. That experience exposed him to a wide variety of aspects of the commercial legal world of trusts, deceased estates, mortgages, lending, leasing and so on.
Jon has continued to utilise his practical skills and knowledge of property law to develop his career as a specialist dispute resolution advisor. Jon combines his sense of fairness and equity with an ability to strategically litigate in any commercial Court, to persuade people to agree to commercial outcomes rather than to fight in the legal system.
If the best commercial alternative is to litigate, then we can do that. If a matter must go to trial, then we prefer to engage the assistance of independent Counsel.
Jon has a broad range of litigation experience, including:
- Successful appeals to the Court of Appeal & District Court of Western Australia.
- Trials of pleaded cases & upon originating processes.
- Interlocutory applications including striking out pleadings, interpleader, summary judgment, specific performance, contempt of Court, caveat disputes
- Statutory demands & wind up applications.
- Corporate disputes between directors and shareholders.
- Contentious probate matters - including Family Provision Act matters.
- Intellectual property - copyright, trademarks, design, passing off.
Our litigation practice is primarily operated to service our existing commercial clients. We also accept referrals from other professional service providers – including accountants, insolvency practitioners, real estate agents, business brokers, financial planners and so on.
We pride ourselves upon having the integrity to advise people not to pursue litigation if we believe that it is uncommercial for them to do so. At the same time, by being efficient and experienced we can offer affordable litigation options.
We distinguish ourselves in the market by the quality of our work rather than simply being “cheap”. In our experience our total fees for service are usually less than those of our peers.
- Barrister & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Western Australia
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of Australia
- Bachelor of Laws (University of Western Australia) Bachelor of Science [Organic Chemistry] (University of Western Australia)